How do I Let a Man Know I’m Interested?
I was given an assignment by my sweet wife: a blog post. I figure she does two a week, I could manage to pull one together for this week. After our book announcement we received many questions from you, but the ones that stick out the most was “How do I get a man to ask me out?” Or “How do I let a guy know I’m interested?” These are great questions, worth answering. But before I answer these questions, I think it is most important for me to remind you who you are. You are beautiful. You are lovely. You are sweet. You deserve the best when it comes to dating. Don’t settle for anything less. Okay? Now on letting a real man know you are interested.
It’s important to let the man make the first move, but that doesn’t mean you can’t strongly encourage him! Men can be scared of rejection, so most will wait until they are almost positive you are interested. Finding Mr. Right can have a lot to do with just putting yourself out there and being available. Don’t hang out with the same girlfriends weekend after weekend or never meet any new potentials because it feels scary. Let’s begin.
Eight Ways to Let Him Know You’re Interested:
- Be where he is. If he is going to be at a concert or show, or maybe a local gathering, be there with some friends. Don’t be a stalker, but just make sure that you get some time together. Allow him to see you interact with other people and notice you. Let him think he noticed you rather than you noticing him. Men like to be the pursuer.
- Talk to him. Not a novel suggestion, but seriously. Ask him about himself, what he did over the break. Chances are you will remember the conversation, so ask him about something personal next time you see him from your previous conversation.
- Touch his arm. If you have been interacting for a little while and he still doesn’t get the picture, a little physical touch may be in order. Not too much, once or twice per time you see him will give him the clue that you are interested. You want to wait because you don’t want to seem too forward.
- Flirt. . . a little. Notice I said a little J
- Smile and laugh at his jokes. What guy doesn’t like a pretty girl who thinks he’s funny? Also, joke with him. Don’t take it over the line, but be lighthearted about life and laugh with him.
- Linger. At the end of the party, the end of a meeting, wherever you get to see him—lingering helps give him a clue that you’re interested.
- Ask for his opinion. Men like to fix things, so ask him for advice about your car, your boss, politics, your next career move. Make sure you don’t ask his opinion about something emotional (i.e. dating, relationships, your dramatic family)—keep it surface level.
- Timing is everything. Give yourself time to make sure you are the right person, the right man is looking for. Work on some of the rough spots in your life that need attention. Give yourself time that you are poised and ready for God to bring him in your life at the right time. The hard part is not rushing it, but I know you can do it.
I know that there is a shortage of good eligible men out there right now, but hold fast. I can’t even begin to imagine how hard it can be at times to wait. Guys have it easy, if we can get past ourselves and fear about asking you out, it isn’t that bad. But women have to play the waiting game. They say patience is a virtue, but I’m pretty sure it has to be the hardest dang virtue to attain!
Ladies, I’m impressed with you. I’m proud of you. Keep doing what it takes. I’m a firm believer in not just the right one, but the right time. Your time is coming.
Does this help? I’m going to write a post next week about ways you can tell if he’s interested in you. Thanks for reading.
If you liked this post, you may also like:
- Chin Up Buttercup | On Choosing Joy
- Ambiguous Texts Don’t Have to Define Your Love Life
- Mr. Promised He Would Call & Mr. Inconsistent
- 20 Great Questions to Ask Your Spouse