What if Money was No Object?

What would you do if money was no object?

“If you say getting the money is the most important thing you’ll spend your life completely wasting your time. You’ll be doing things you don’t like doing in order to go on living that is to go on doing things you don’t like doing. Which is stupid!”

This video came up on my news feed yesterday and my first response to it was, “that doesn’t work in the real world.” Too many people are chasing dreams and forsaking family and responsibility. Most can’t do what they want to do and pay the bills. I’m constantly reminded I’m  years behind where my peers are because I worked in ministry, “chased dreams”, for three years out of college.

What is your experience? What do you dream of?

After watching the video, I have to stop and ponder if all this rushing around, 5am mornings, and frantic nature of life is not what God intends for me. For us. I read books like One Thousand Gifts and Wild Goose Chase and wonder if I’m missing the point of it all.

Do you ever wonder if all the striving and pushing and running is futile?

I want to make my life count and enjoy the little moments. But how?

What about you? Do you think there is truth in this video? Has money followed your passion?

Comments
16 Responses to “What if Money was No Object?”
  1. Matt Appling says:

Great questions, Ruthie, and sadly no easy answers. :) I’ve looked at plenty of people who “chased dreams” and shirked “responsibilities,” and I have to admit, I was jealous. I told myself that not everyone can just be a teenager forever with no obligations. But that’s not entirely true.

On the one hand, God doesn’t want us chasing money and killing ourselves for it. On the other, I really do believe that we have to master our finances so we are in a position to bless others with it. It’s a tough call, that’s for sure.

Hi Matt,

Thanks SO much for commenting. I do agree it’s a balance–and I think it looks different for everyone. On one hand, we have a bunch of “man-boys” on our hands that aren’t growing up and forsaking responsibility. On the other, I wonder how many people would have made it as artists/musicians/______ if they had just tried?

I think there is a difference in answering this question if you are single vs. married. So maybe that’s another part of the discussion.

I’m so excited to read your book, Life after Art. And yes, I will certainly review it.

Thanks!

2. Elizabeth says:

I’m not usually one to comment on blog posts, but wanted to let you know that I enjoyed this and thought it was thought-provoking. I too gave up some time to “chase dreams”
    and work in ministry overseas, and I can relate to that feeling of being years behind my peers in terms of career, etc. Sometimes comparison keeps me from really seeing clearly :)…and the truth is that, for all the challenges (and there were a lot of challenges), I wouldn’t trade that sacrifice of time overseas for anything.

All that to say, thanks for this post and all of the other things you’ve written! I stumbled on your blog a few months ago and have enjoyed and been encouraged many of the things you’ve shared. Your writing is worth it!

Hi Elizabeth,

Very cool that you also spend time overseas. I consider my time overseas to shape most of my writing, so I don’t regret it AT ALL. Plus, God did amazing things both in and through me when I was in China.

I’m thrilled you found my blog. Hopefully, you’ll enjoy Real Men Don’t Text when it comes out this September:)

Have a great Thursday.

3. Kelsey says:

Ruthie,
    You say you’re behind now in comparison to your peers since you took 3 years to do ministry. My fiance and I feel called to ministry with Cru next year, we graduate college in the spring, but we have a similar fear of “falling behind”. Personally I am only passionate about ministry and would love to do something relational for the rest of my life, but my fiance also enjoys business. Is ministry going to set us back professionally? Do you have any advice?

• L says:

I live with 3 girls who work for Cru and I think what they do is incredible. I became a Christian through that ministry in the UK, and I am so grateful to the people who shared the gospel with me and discipled me in my faith. I think we are obsessed with ‘success’ in society- but what is true success? Surely in God’s eyes it is following your heart (whilst making responsible decisions!) and allowing Him to define success.

Hi Kelsey,

Sometimes ministry does set you back professionally. But it’s also something that gives you character development that is near impossible to mimic in a professional setting. The truth is, we have the rest of our lives to work, so a few years following a different path, isn’t a big deal in the grande scope. If you feel like God is clearing saying to go into ministry–then go! The rest will fall into place. But if it’s not clear, then I’d go for the professional world and try to do ministry/volunteer on the side.

Just my opinion! My year spent with CRU after graduation was richly rewarding and I still have friendships with the students I met. But there isn’t a ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ answer/ a ‘more holy’ or ‘less holy’ path.

Thanks!

4. Ellie says:

I also don’t usually comment on blog posts but felt I should share. The dreams you have are often God given and I expect many of your friends who are ‘ahead’ may not consider that they are in the broader sense of a fully lived life- its all a matter of perceptions.

I had always dreamed of living and working overseas, yet when I graduated last year I limited my job search to the UK (where I am from!) I kept finding dead ends until one day I e-mailed a friend who was working in China. Long story short I am now living and working in Shanghai. I am living the dream -it is not always easy but I feel that God has lead me here and I am growing so much- both as a person and spiritually. Incidentally it is also helping me in my career. I suppose this is a long way of me saying that if you follow the path God has placed in front of you, you will end up where He wants you to be.

Finally I read something of C.S.Lewis’ recently where he describes that the intensity with which we can experience the present is how God experiences all of time. We cannot change the past and we cannot really influence the future- God has given you a busy season, live it and see where it leads! (Thank you by the way for your blog- I have found many things here an encouragement!)

Hi Elle,

Thanks so much for commenting, even though you don’t comment on blog posts. I’m honored. Thanks for sharing your story & how God has led you step by step.

and I love this idea of living in our busy seasons and seeing where they lead. That’s what I need to start doing, instead of being so worried that I’m over-extending myself.

Thanks!

5. Adam says:

Funny. I’m at the local community college today seeking career counseling. Trying to balance providing for my family and doing what I love. I liked Alan Watt’s line in the video that went: “And after all, if you do really like what you’re doing, it doesn’t matter what it is… you could eventually become a master of it. It’s the only way to become a master of something, to be really with it. And then you’ll be able to get a good fee for whatever it is.” I’d like to believe I could do that. I know some people who have.

What’s hard is the time in between, or sticking with a dream long enough that it could turn into something that could be profitable. Escpecially looking around and seeing others making more money than you through jobs that they find decent enough to stay at. I sometimes wonder if I am just spoiled or selfish by thinking that I can craft my own fulfilling path instead of just gritting my teeth and going out and getting a dependable job. Dunno. To be a passionate but starving artist, or well-compensated and bored… That’s the reductionist in me. A lot of us would like to be well-compensated artists, but how realistic is this?? Thanks Ruthie. Thought-provoking and as usual, timely.

Such great questions, Adam. I do wonder if this question needs to have an * next to it that is different for marrieds vs. singles. I have to think that providing for a family trumps becoming master at a craft, unless the craft happens to be building a church or something directly God is calling us to do.

I don’t know though–I think the beauty of the Bible is questions like this aren’t black and white, so sometimes we just get to choose. Don’t you wish God would just tell us what to do sometimes?

I’m in the same boat with writing, FYI…I can’t do it full-time and there’s a constant struggle.

Thanks for commenting!

6. L says:

Surely there’s a balance? I am not career-minded, and work a dull job so I can live my dream of iiving abroad in my favourite city in the world. It’s about give and take. I think we should try and define success by God’s standards- is it our job/family/life accomplishments that we exalt, or it is our relationship with Him?